Shala is a sanskrit word meaning school or home. At Yoga Shala we seek to create a home for the practice and teaching of Iyengar Yoga, a space that reflects the qualities of stillness and awareness that we are cultivating within ourselves.
Our intent in founding Yoga Shala is to share the vibrancy and transformative potential of yoga, as taught by BKS Iyengar. We have experienced the practice of yoga to have profound effects physically and mentally, as well as at the deeper emotional and spiritual levels. Ultimately, yoga can help us to be more present with ourselves and in our lives.
Yoga Shala and its teachers are dedicated to:
- Providing a peaceful and pure space for the practice of yoga
- Bringing health to the body and mind through clear and mature teaching
- Challenging students of all ages and abilities to advance in their practice
- Fostering the well-being of our students and community
- Sharing humor and joy as well as intensity and challenge in class
- Offering yoga as a path toward compassion and wisdom
- Cultivating conscious awareness that will help each of us make a difference in the world
We look forward to seeing you in class.
Octavia Morgan and Tamarie Spielman